Saturday, July 23, 2011

T & A

DISCLAIMER

If you are offended by nudity please stop reading here....

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....


Growing up, my parents were not shy about nudity...this does not mean that they pranced around the house naked...but if I happened to walk in one of them changing etc...it was no big deal...my mom will still strip down in front of me if necessary and we both went topless when we were in the Dominican Republic...I'm also trying to teach my children that the human body is nothing to be ashamed of...so that they may avoid any body image issues when they are older....I leave the door open when I go potty(only because the beat the hell out of the door if I close it) I get dressed and undressed in front of them...when Hallie is in the tub I will go in and help her wash her hair..etc...with Hallie and Leah I don't think I would ever have a problem seeing them nekkid well into womanhood...there will come a point with James where seeing him without clothes would become awkward...I was always allowed to watch movies with sex scenes...as a matter of fact, my mom took me to see Pretty Woman in the movie theatre when I was 12 years old...

I guess the whole point of this post is to say...that I was not a sheltered child...I was pretty much allowed to do anything as I pleased... at 15 I was able to sleep over at my boyfriend's house....separate rooms mind you but still...I was also allowed to drink before I was legally able to do so...I was given some wine with meals or if there was a celebration of some sort. Because I had permission to do all that...it made me a tad less rebellious...my peers growing up were not allowed to date...so they had to sneak around...they were not also permitted to touch alcohol..so when they did get their hands on a bottle of booze...they drank till they puked and passed out...in my opinion is that if you tell a teenager they are forbidden to do anything...it will make them crave it and more determined to piss you off...

Perhaps I will be "one of those parents"....you know, parents that would rather be friends with their kids instead of being a parent...which is not what I plan to do obviously..but it goes beyond that...talk to your kids...let them ask questions...educate them about the birds and the bees..when Hallie is old enough to understand sex...I will discuss birth control options...because you know...I'm not living in some fantasy land where I think my daughters won't have sex until they are married....Jesus, are some parents really that disillusioned...I watch the train wreck "16 and pregnant" show....its really unfucking believable how many of those parents do not educate their kids about birth control...I caught one episode where the Dr asked the mother of the pregnant 16 year old...why she was not informed about condoms..etc...so the mom casually remarks that she was too embarrassed to talk to her daughter about sex...well slap me sideways...yeah because being a grandma at 40 isn't embarrassing!

I used to work in a medical clinic...and I had tons of girls come in for pregnancy tests...here are just a few of the gems...

"I didn't think I could get pregnant the first time"
"He was supposed to pull out"
"I stood up for a hour afterwards, so I thought that would prevent pregnancy"
"I didn't realize you need to take the pill everyday"
"I thought I could just pee the sperm out"

And here is the best one....this one teen girl came in, she wasn't pregnant, but she had a severe vaginal infection....because her boyfriend told her that if she squeezed mustard up her hooha that would prevent pregnancy...yes, I threw up a little in my mouth too...also, one teen girl came in with a possible STD scare, and she did have one...Dr asked about her boyfriend, she says that he picked up an STD from a toilet seat and would not even think about screwing someone behind her back...Dr told her that the type she had was not transferable by toilet seats...dumb bitch still refused to think about her cheating boyfriend..

Just think, all those girls above may not have ended up pregnant if only for some information from their parents, or some other sex education program...

Where I live is super Conservative...we have 1 strip bar and a few sex shops...just a few weeks ago one of those sex shops, which happens to be a very classy place and promotes education and safe sex...well they put an ad in our local paper, and in that ad they put a picture of a vibrator..the people here were so outraged...how dare they publish a sex toy in our family newspaper? One woman was so mad because her 15 year old daughter may have seen the ad and would be running out to buy one.. What about the innocent children that would be scared for life upon seeing that? First off, a young child should not have any clue what a vibrator is or what it is for..and for the mother of the 15 year old...her seeing the ad would have been a great time to discuss sex..etc...the parents here also make a big hullabaloo if there is a sex shop opening..I mean come on people....when I visited Amsterdam, there were sex shops everywhere...and lets not forget this the same city that has the red light district and allows you to smoke a joint in a coffee shop...yet somehow, Amsterdam has some of the lowest teen pregnancy and STD rates in the 1st world...makes you wonder eh?

Moving along...


In other news...Doug and I decided to get a Savannah cat for Hallie..we put a deposit down for the kitty in February..the mommy cat didn't get pregnant in the spring...the breeder just contacted me to let me know that the cat is pregnant now and the kittens will be ready in November...if your not familiar with Savannah cats, look to the picture below...its just basically a smaller domesticated version of that...


And that my friends is also why you should never wear flip flops to work...you never know when you will need to run....

There is a link on my sidebar..click on it and it will take you to Courtney and Tripp's blog...I've been following them for over a year...I love Tripp as if he was my own child...his health has been deteriorating and his mom has had to make gut wrenching decisions regarding his treatment...if you could pop on over to her blog and leave a kind word that would be awesome...even better...say a little prayer to whichever God/Deity you believe in..may it help him getting over this slump..and give Courtney strength...Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB) Another blogger posted that EB is the worst disease that nobody has ever heard of...I would say that's an accurate description..I always visit Tripp's blog when I get into a funk...seeing that little boys smiling face..it instantly makes me happy...he can't see...eat, talk and walk and in constant pain...but this little guy keeps smiling...Courtney had posted a video of him playing his little toy drums...it was amazing..he knew where each drum was and he kept in tune the whole time...he really is a miracle baby...considering Courtney was told at the time of his diagnosis that he would only live a few months...he is well over 2 years old now...

Anyhoo...

Have a fab Sunday...I need to go do my chores!


1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I agree with everything you had to say and I will be this kind of parent. I don't want my kids to be nieve about sex or get stuck in a situation when they get older and have no idea what is going on or what a person is talking about.

    Sex doesn't embarrass me, neither does nudity. I was exposed to nudity and had a relationship with my parents where I knew I could go to them for any sex question I had. I think that is the problem these days, parents don't want to touch the controversial issues with their kids and they wonder why there teenager gets pregnant or into bad stuff.

    I also read little Tripp's blog, he's such an inspiration and makes me see what all I am taking for granted. That baby is a fighter and has an amazing mother who has unbelievable strength.

    Hope all is well with you guys! Did you have my P.O. box Roff address? I don't remember if I gave it to you or not :)

    ReplyDelete