Monday, October 18, 2010

Bittersweet...

Wow, 2 post in 2 days..I realized that doing this blog is very therapeutic..I feel much better after writing out all my thoughts..even if nobody reads them...Erica and Jennifer, thanks so much for the kind comments you always post..I love reading your blogs, and Erica..your little ones are too cute, especially your little guy..I can't wait for James to get that age..it will be so much fun!

Anyhoo, bittersweet..yes, it is...

Those that know me IRL(in real life) know that my family has been living with my dad at his house for the last 10 years on and off, Doug and I did have an apartment at one point..but my dad got sick about 5 years ago, and we decided to move in with him..his house is like 5000 square feet, huge backyard and pool...and he was alone, so it only made sense..I did the cooking and cleaning, Doug did all the maintenence..etc..But with adding to our family, we always wanted to get a place of "our own"..not that I minded living with my dad, but it was still his house, his rules had to be respected and we had to put up with his "company" coming over..I had always dreamed of having my own house to decorate, James and Leah were sleeping in our room..2 babies in your room every night is a real romance killer..etc..but with our financial situation, me not working, Doug at school, 3 kids..it was not possible..but when my dad passed..his house became our house..finally "our own"...so its is bittersweet..I finally got my own house but how I got it was not the way I imagined..I would rather have my dad with me and live in a tin can..but it is what it is...so for the last few months Doug and I have been renovating the house..it looks completely different...not because I wanted to change the way my dad had it..but because it was dated and had not been fixed up in 20 odd years...we put in new windows, painted all the walls, replaced all the old wood molding with new white stuff..we ordered new patio door, new front door, put an electric fireplace in...I am doing it all with my dad in mind, what he would have liked..and I hope he does like it...Doug and I finally have our own room..no kids allowed, although I can't say its helped the romance any..I go to bed at 10pm and he stays up until 2 am..

So, I am trying to get some pics uploaded of the house..some before and after pics..

In the meantime...here is a scary Leah...she is practicing for Halloween..




Have a great Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Leah is too cute, dad would've had a blast with them this halloween, even James wasn't scared. I'm glad to see you are blogging again, the pics bring a smile to my face.....keep up the good work. love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see more pics of the house...thanks for stopping by..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pictures of the house either! I think it's a good thing that you get to be in the home where you had so many happy memories with your dad and that you can cherish them. I love your blog and hope the kiddos are doing well :)

    Sorry I'm late on catching up, it's really hard to pry my sister away from her laptop long enough to check all of my goodies :)

    ReplyDelete