Friday, May 8, 2009

French Onion Soup a la Amanda

I spend most of my computer time looking through food blogs, so I decided that I wanted to do at least one entry about something I make..so here is my attempt and I apologize my camera is not the best and I am no photographer so no heckling please....



Doug has been harassing me for the last 5 years to make french onion soup, I have no idea why as he is not the french onion soup type, he seems to me more vegetable noodle, but anyways I finally broke down, picked up the stuff yesterday and started cooking early this morning, authentic french onion soup is a long process..but the French, they must do everything better..chocolate, bread, wine and kissing...


My dutch oven...it is made by Mario Batali and weighs at least 20 lbs, but I cook everything in this and it goes into the oven too, which is a bonus...I am asking Santa for a Le Creuset (French) for Xmas this year...lime green one please Doug, oh I mean Santa!



A necessity when making french onion soup, is the bowls...please do not laugh at mine..a few years ago I was going through a retro kitchen phase and picked these babies up at a garage sale for $1...oldies but still goodies...







It took me an hour to cut up all the onions, Leah kept picking up the stray ones off the floor I knew if she put one in her mouth she would promptly spit it out, she did and made a face...




I had to cook the onions in butter on the stove top for a half hour, I love this part..mmmmm..onions and butter!





After the onions softened up, I had to stick them in the oven for an hour to caramelize them even more..tick tock...okay, hour later..they look like this..




I then had to add the white wine (French..notice the theme) and scrape off all the brown crispy bits, I let the wine reduce and holy hell it smelled divine in my kitchen...the wine, the butter and onions...I'm sorry smelling through the screen has not yet been invented...poor souls!





Okay, then after it reduced I added to beef and chicken broth..then had to let simmer on the stove for an hour....and voila...this is what it looked like all done..



I know it does not look the nicest, but really its only onions and broth..what do you expect...its still in its naked stage...here comes the cheese...grated Swiss(not french)...



Still....missing something....oh yes...the french baguette...toasted to a sexy golden brown!




And let the soup, cheese and bread have a menage a trois (french again,hahaha)



Magnifique!


This is after I inhaled some, notice the cheese and the onions....it really is divine!




If you have all day, try it...if not you can get some at your local grocery store for $6.99 in the freezer section but I bet it will not taste as good as mine!

This was kind of fun, cooking and taking pictures..I might do it again soon..


No comments:

Post a Comment